Hi. We are Darryle and Dawn Owens and we have been coming to Fit for the past 5 years. We just finished the 21 day low-carb challenge. While we have participated in our fair share of Fit Challenges, we both found this latest one to be very effective, often in ways we did not expect. So, since we have done many challenges before, Aaron asked us to share our most recent experience.
The challenge came at a very good time for us - we were both needing a “pick-me-up”. Clothes were not fitting so well, and workouts were less consistent due to work demands, kid stuff and injuries. We were eating a lot of those delicious Whole Foods tortilla chips and drinking lots of margaritas.
We discovered quite a few things about ourselves, our fitness and our eating habits during this challenge. Here are a few things we learned:
On the Nutrition Front
- We learned that there are a ton of carbs in the foods we eat every day and that eating “sort of” healthy is not that healthy.
- We learned that limiting carbs was not that hard, and one of us (not Darryle) could be satisfied on 50 carbs a day.
- We loved feeling more energetic after we acclimated to our new “diet”.
- We discovered the joy of the Rocket Fuel Latte from the Keto Diet Cookbook. (See recipe below.)
- We learned a lot of great recipes that are new to us. Our favorite is Mia’s Pizza. Maybe she can share the recipe in her next video or blog.
- We learned that eating fat doesn’t make you fat… Really.
On the Fitness Front
- We learned the benefits of recovery and that we can work out 21 days in a row and not feel wasted and tired.
- We learned that 35 people can work out at the same time, with heavy weights, without head injuries (from someone else).
- We learned that it’s a lot easier to wake up for a 5 am class if you haven’t had a cocktail or three the night before. We don’t know if this is a fitness, nutrition or just plain common sense insight, but we thought it worth sharing none-the-less.
- We were surprised how much less stiff and sore we were than usual.
- We loved finding our abs again.
Our Fit Community
- We were reminded of the great people we have in our Fit community. We come in all shapes, sizes, fitness levels, ages, etc, but the support and encouragement that is a part of who we are as a community shines brightest during these challenges.
- Finally, a big shout out to the coaches. The talents and encouragement of the Fit coaches was tremendous and getting a glimpse into their homes through the low-carb recipe videos was cool.
The trick will be how to take all this and build it into our day-to-day routine. We’ll start by incorporating moderate (prep) days, all-out game days and recovery days into our workout plans, just like we did during the challenge. We expect it’ll be somewhat challenging because we won’t always be on the same schedule as the person next to us. We’ll also consciously dial down the carbs. While it was hard to give up bananas and KitchFix Paleo Granola and our daily cocktails, it was worth it. We feel better and have definitely seen an improvement in our fitness.
See you at the gym!
Rocket Fuel Latte, The Keto Diet
- 1 ¾ cups (415 ml) hot brewed coffee (regular or decaf) or tea
- 1 tablespoon MCT oil or coconut oil
- 1 tablespoon cacao butter
- 1 tablespoon hulled hemp seeds
- 2 to 4 drops liquid stevia (optional)
- ¼ teaspoon vanilla extract or powder
- Pinch of finely ground Himalayan rock salt (optional)
- 1 tablespoon collagen peptides or protein powder
- Pinch of ground cinnamon, for garnish
- Place the hot coffee, oil, cacao butter, hemp seeds, stevia (if using), vanilla, and salt in a high-powered blender. Blend on high speed for 1 minute, or until the hemp seeds are pulverized.
- During the last 10 seconds, add the collagen and continue to blend.
- Transfer to a mug, sprinkle with cinnamon, and enjoy.